Nearly 250 Years Of History
Serving Fine Ales & Wine Since 2014
The inn was established in 1780 by Hawkes & Company of Bishop’s Stortford, with money earned from supplying malt to the London breweries. They still owned it in the 1870’s when the licensee was George George.
At some point the pub was called The Black Bull, but nobody knows when the name changed.
The pub today has the same narrow-paned lattice windows as a photograph taken in 1876. Pitch penny was also played from this pub, where pennies were tossed into a hole in the settle by the bar, which is still in place. In more recent times, a doctor’s surgery has run from the pub, where a curtain was put up dividing the bars, thus making one side a waiting room and the other the consulting room.